Shot Darts

Practice vs playing?
I am early into my darting career and have been practicing non stop for a few months.
This week I ventured into online darts for the first time as I know I get nervous/anxious when it's game/show time (for any sport really). Basically I wanted to see how I could handle it and also to see where my game was at. I probably performed to expectations, although I was largely inconsistent with my doubles and scoring having good and bad spurts.

But my question is how do you find the balance between practicing and playing? Does anybody have any experiences they would like to share? I know in some ways it depends on what your end goal is (do you want to get better, just throw and have fun/social, or a bit of both), but I was thinking that there would need to be a balance.

At this stage I was leaning towards continuing practice and dedicating say 1 night a week to playing online. Is that too little game time?
I am basing this as I am trying to get my average up to 60 and having checkouts around the 15-20% mark.
Started playing April 2020

Board - Winmau - Blade 5
Darts Currently  - Whatever feels right

Best 501 game -  19 darts
Number of 180s - 2020 = 4
Highest checkout - 117 (T20 - S17- D20)
Play more online games, practice only gets you so far, wont get much better unless you play others & you'll get more comfortable after a while
2-3 nights online, that’s where you learn, and lots of, players will help you along the way with counting and proper checkouts.

Practice defintily but keep it to structured practice and practice with purpose.

Those two terms will come up a lot, if you browse through the forum thread s on practices and drills you will find lots of anecdotal advice as well as structured practice routines.

60 average would be phenomenal, for me at,east that is my game for online darts.

My problem is , it takes about 25 minute practice sessions to warm up, or 15 legs, or 3 best of 9s. But then I can only play for another 20-30 minutes tops and my grip starts too weaken and form dissapears.

I believe in quality of quantity. Which is why I will be practicing now only 01 games and always finish them , and complete practice drills 100%, because in a match, you only get so many darts, so it would be better to be used to having as few darts as possible :’
Thanks for your good replies guys.

I always ensure my practice is structured and enjoy playing all the different games on offer (bobs 27, Priestley's trebles, elevendarters s/s games etc.), but yes they will only get you so far. The only times I tend to 'just throw' is when I am trying out new darts/flight setups.
I know a 60 average is far off at this stage, but I was always told to think big and it gives me a goal to aim for. 

More game nights it is then Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Started playing April 2020

Board - Winmau - Blade 5
Darts Currently  - Whatever feels right

Best 501 game -  19 darts
Number of 180s - 2020 = 4
Highest checkout - 117 (T20 - S17- D20)
OnLine darts seems the way to go these days. Be sure to get a good warm-up or you'll be fighting yourself till you get yourself straight.
The biggest game improvement came from playing others. It helps condition your mental play. Does no good to bang out trips and doubles in practice if you can’t hit them in game play
Started playing again in November 2017 after a 30 year hiatus.

Match darts - XQMax MVG Gen II  23g, XQMax MVG GenII 20g Soft by Custom Darts

Bottlesen GT's 24g, Bottlesen GT’s 24g 1980 model, Bottlesen 20g GT Soft, Harrows Pulse 24g, 

Blade 5 DC, Nexus 

180's: Yes

My belief is that practice improves your game play. Everyone is different, but I find it impossible to continue to improve just by playing games of 501 and when I had too much match play in my training routine I found myself slipping into bad habits.

Practice is where you groove your throw in low-pressure situations and develop it into something that is (hopefully) repeatable every time. Games are where you pressure test that throw.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Playing on your own v Playing against an opponent Dan180 6 420 02-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Dan180