Weird cross dominance issue
Hi all,

I started playing darts as a drinking game in April but it soon got slightly more serious.  I pretty much play every single day via video with my mate in another town, plus I have mates come over a couple times per week.  
Anyway, I am right handed and right eye dominant in any test that I do...until I pick up a dart.  When I pick up a dart and stare at the t20, I have double vision of my hand and dart.  One looks very faint and feels awkward to line up the shot, and the other is my left eye, which I can stare straight down the barrel at the t20.  If it isn't weird enough that darts appear to change my dominant eye, when i pull back, I pull back directly to my right eye and if I pause at that moment, I am now staring down the barrel to where I am aiming.  As my throw goes forward, I think my right eye may have taken over, I am not really sure.  How weird is that?!
I am not sure if this is my issue but my mate is progressing faster than I am.  This grinds my gears as I have always been one that picks things up faster than most and I have never put so much effort into something and been so terrible at it.  I definitely feel like I was better a month ago than I am now.  I hit my first 180 and got all excited and then it all went downhill not long after that (the 180 isn't related obviously).
Any ideas?  Should I try and train myself to be right eye, as that's my naturally dominant eye for everything else in my life?  First few attempts at this have me giving up in about 6 darts.  Or should I stick with the more natural feeling way that could be hampering my progress?   
T.I.A
First: there is no scientific evidence that eye dominance plays a role in throwing sports like baseball or darts:

Darts study:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://pdf...L-9_FujBAS

Use 2 eyes and you will aim better. Why would it help to favour one eye when you throw straight at board?

Second: try this, it helped me a lot: https://youtu.be/p7CBvc6Q6BI

Gesendet von meinem moto x4 mit Tapatalk
Thanks for the video link, I will utilize that later when I get home.

My Issue isn't that I am cross dominant, it's that I line it up pre-throw with my left eye, bring it back to my right eye, then as I throw I feel like nothing is lined up with anything anymore and that it could be hampering my progress if I am not technically sound in these earlier days. I am also progressing much slower than my mates, actually been going backwards for the last few weeks and usually I pick things up very quickly as I invest a lot of time and energy into doing things right.
You don't need to know whether you're cross dominant because that knowledge doesn't directly affect your game. When I'm playing I don't think "Oh I'm left eye dominant so I have to do this, but if I was right eye dominant I would have to do that".

(08-04-2020, 10:03 PM)samsimilian Wrote: First: there is no scientific evidence that eye dominance plays a role in throwing sports like baseball or darts:

Darts study:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://pdf...L-9_FujBAS
Interesting. Another way of describing the results is that footballers don't have to aim before they kick the ball.
How do you know all this stuff?

My mind boggles just trying to understand your post.

Darts is a basic game, best enjoyed when you don’t think and just enjoy it.

Why make it such a deep confusing issue.
Try and throw with a “feel” for the dart. Stop aiming it with left eye?

Maybe try keeping the dart below your centre of vision, or to the right of it .
The main thing is -
Keep your eyes on the target not ANY part of the dart.

Make sure your dart is comfortable in your grip/hand so you don’t have to look at it, try throwing without aiming down the barrel and find a position that’s comfortable to throw from and not blocking your line of sight....once you have a solid motion down maybe you can start experimenting with aiming down the barrel.

But I think what’s happening is it’s messing up your scope of vision when you aim down the barrell
Try it all As there is no right way for everyone . . .be comfortable.
(08-04-2020, 11:40 PM)Gooddark Wrote: Try and throw with a “feel” for the dart. Stop aiming it with left eye?

The main thing is -

Make sure your dart is comfortable in your grip/hand so you don’t have to look at it, try throwing without aiming down the barrel and find a position that’s comfortable to throw from and not blocking your line of sight....once you have a solid motion down maybe you can start experimenting with aiming down the barrel.

But I think what’s happening is it’s  messing up your scope of vision when you aim down the  barrell

I find this to not be intuitive, but very helpful.  When your throw crosses your line of sight you are for a moment throwing without seeing the target
(08-05-2020, 01:37 AM)Levonster Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 11:40 PM)Gooddark Wrote: Try and throw with a “feel” for the dart. Stop aiming it with left eye?

The main thing is -

But I think what’s happening is it’s  messing up your scope of vision when you aim down the  barrell

I find this to not be intuitive, but very helpful.  When your throw crosses your line of sight you are for a moment throwing without seeing the target
I suppose my teachings are not too well thought out ha ha! Those who can’t do -teach!! Hahahah 

But honestly I was just firing out any suggestions I could come up with to try and help the original poster through this stage of discomfort.

I guess More so suggesting to get the basics of throwing down - before aiming with the barrell and expecting great results immediately! 

I also have like 3 different styles of throwing , which is not helpful for consistency but I have fun.
Thanks for the input guys. I guess it was one of the first videos I watched where the pro (cant remember who) said he lined up the small gap between his thumb and index finger like a cross hair to the target, and that's what I ran with from day one. I have lowered my throwing hand slightly so I am not blocking my view of the target so much. I have actually slowed down between shots rather than trying to get a good decent paced rhythm going and these two things have helped a lot, I can really stare down the t20 now. I will work on the rhythm once I am more technically sound.
Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advise for cross eye dominance Naxos 8 538 04-06-2019, 07:34 AM
Last Post: samsimilian
  Help me from this weird feeling in my arm.. Darts1234 21 1,752 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Vintage Rat
Shocked Weird flinch I've picked up BRawsKO 3 401 10-28-2018, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  cross eye dominance Tristan Liam 0 383 01-25-2017, 01:37 AM
Last Post: Tristan Liam
  Weird & Different Games brenthahn 12 6,323 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Mac Aindriú