Darts Buddy

soft vs steel
Hello guys,
I would like to ask for advice. I am playing darts for about a year on steel only. Now i try tournaments around my city but problem is that there are only soft version on electroboards. I find myself bit od struggling with soft darts, i am playing much worse than with steel. Do you have some advice or tips how could i get better. Is it possible to throw with soft darts into sisal?
I use 24g steel and 18g soft.

Thank you for answer And good luck in the game.
Yes soft tips do stick in a normal sisal board
thanks for answer, dont you damage dartboard by that or is it ok?
I've ben throwing No.5 sized soft tips into my blade Board and no real issues - They stay in the board fine. In fact as the point has a bit of flex to it - you can squeeze in dart as the dart in the board will bend out of the way.
I think the cross section of the soft tip point is a bit thicker than a normal steel tip - seems to leave a larger hole in the sisal - So could be worth rotating the board a bit more frequently
- And if you are playing cricket maybe rotate an odd number (At least for practice) so that you are not just moving the treble 16 - into a treble 19 into a treble 17 into a treble 15 and hammering that area a lot even if you are rotating the board the usual two sectors.
Ryk is currently using:-

Arrows - 16g Harrows Girls Lolita (Reflex Conversion C type):: Stems Edgeglow Purple Short :: Flights Rie Hoshino Marathon :: - Winmau Blade 6
::

You can buy conversion points that screw into the soft-tips to convert them to steel-tip darts. They are generally the same weight and thickness of plastic soft-tip points too. They will make slightly bigger holes but they are much better for practicing with.

There are other differences too - the noise from the machines (and the people) at e-dart can also be off-putting. Might be an idea to practice with music or distractions too!
I play both too. 20g soft tips (actually, the barrels are just17.5g) and I usually use 21 - 24g steel tips (I've got 17 - 26g in my collection). The weight isn't an issue. The most important thing is to find the well balanced dart that suits your throw.

I only play soft tips at local tournaments once a week while I only practice steel tips (every day except for the days I'm off to soft tips). I win the most soft tip matches anyway.

As far as using soft tip points at sisal dartboards was mentioned, I had used them for years before I started playing steel tips competitively. Then I decided not to damage the dartboard with thick blunt plastic points anymore. However, the damage wasn't that big. I just had a new dartboard then and decided not to. Now, if I sometimes wnat to check something with my soft tips, I aim at the number ring or at the writings at the black part of the dartboard.

On the other hand, if you use the plastic tips for a few days they get thinner and sharper as they brush themselves automatically. I always had to replace them after a few weeks because they also get shorter and they bend eventually.

Just don't waste your money on hard lips. They work nice when they're new but then they get blunt too. And they too pricey for what they offer.

BTW, if you play worse at soft tip tournaments than if you play steel tips at home, that's pretty expected thing. It will take time to get rid of nerves and getting used to playing competitively. Doesn't matter what kind of darts it is. So, don't think it's just the soft/steel thing.
thank you guys for your inputs, very appreciated.
good luck at the oche.
Forget the triple 20 even exists, throw for the bull area since it is all 50 for soft tip.
(10-24-2019, 10:58 AM)Imposter Wrote: You can buy conversion points that screw into the soft-tips to convert them to steel-tip darts. They are generally the same weight and thickness of plastic soft-tip points too. They will make slightly bigger holes but they are much better for practicing with.

There are other differences too - the noise from the machines (and the people) at e-dart can also be off-putting. Might be an idea to practice with music or distractions too!

The oche is further back as well.
(10-28-2019, 01:02 AM)Cosmo Darts Europe Wrote: The oche is further back as well.

In some areas....
In Austria most of the bigger leagues have the same oche disctance as steel-tip. The bull is like steel too.
In other areas the oche is further back and in some the entire bull is 50 points (they are called the 'bullshooter' leagues here)

Best to check what the set-up is for your local leagues.
Here in Italy the oche is at the same distance of the steel tip
(10-28-2019, 12:10 PM)Luca82cb Wrote: Here in Italy the oche is at the same distance of the steel tip

Here in Czech republic it's the same. And I reckon it's the same in all countries that play the European soft tips. I believe the oche is only further (if so) when you play the bull shooter/dartslive dartboards with huge trebles and doubles (maybe in France?). Our European segments have only two lines of holes in trebles and doubles, therefore the dimensions are the same as it's for the sisal dartboards and the oche length is the same as well.

And of course, our bull is split to 25 and 50 and we usually aim at T20 or T19, so please, tell Paul Nicholson and other commentators, that if some european player aims at the bullseye when needing it while playing steel tips, he desn't love the bullseye, as Nicholson tends to think...

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Was going to mention European soft tip boards when I read post 8.  Seems more than a few have this perception.
(10-24-2019, 10:36 AM)Eso Rimmer Wrote: thanks for answer, dont you damage dartboard by that or is it ok?

I frown upon those who throw softips into sisal boards. For God sake use conversion points! Cheap conversion points are sufficient, same size as actual steel tip.
Fav Dart    : Harrows Nemesis 20g & Harrows RAZR Bulbous 20g
Shaft         : Harrows
Flight         : Harrows 
Points        : Cosmo Fit Point + , CHEAP Harrows Conversion Points
Board        : Harrows Pro Matchplay
Electronic  : VSPhoenix!!
OCD Darter!! Harrows Fanboy  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(10-30-2019, 01:50 PM)LKH9 Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 10:36 AM)Eso Rimmer Wrote: thanks for answer, dont you damage dartboard by that or is it ok?

I frown upon those who throw softips into sisal boards. For God sake use conversion points! Cheap conversion points are sufficient, same size as actual steel tip.

Yep, same size, sort of, if you use the long tips. However totally different balance of your set up. That's why I prefer having original steel tip darts. I know many players who use conversion points. Mostly players who come by now and then and don't want to invest in original steel tip darts yet. Once they start playing steel tips regularly they usually go the traditional way and buy proper darts...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts Throwing comparing - Japanese Soft style throwing vs Steel Style throwing jayouloun 41 11,815 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Don Hagliatelli
  How to manage weight difference between steel and soft darts? Che-Min Tsai 11 827 04-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Last Post: BDG
  Throwing steel and soft *Saber* 3 373 04-14-2019, 06:44 AM
Last Post: MariusOveras
  Steel ot soft tip darts...? Michael Hobson 22 934 02-24-2019, 12:12 AM
Last Post: BDG
  Soft or Steel Kmanchizh 11 618 01-08-2019, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  Soft tip and steel Blanton 4 570 01-22-2018, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Blanton
  Practice both steel and soft tip EdwardO 6 800 01-22-2018, 05:32 AM
Last Post: ranger86
  Soft tip Darts or Steel tip darts - Poll kamikersie 15 4,498 07-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Brian Watts
  Online Darts, Steel or Soft? Jhat 2 641 03-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Jhat
  Soft Tip Versus Steel Tip JDinMD 9 3,376 02-16-2017, 11:18 PM
Last Post: mkchoi5354