Points - Some thoughts on sharpness
Before you all get on the points need to be rounded train, please give this a thought and see if there's any point to all this rambling. 

I don't know if i should share this, but here goes :

Rounded tip with razor spiders may actually be counter productive as the rounded tip actually can catch on the razor wires and bounce out if the radius on the tip is large enough.

Think of the razor wire like a sharpened point meeting a rounded (like round wires) point. The sharp wires may actually dig into the rounded point! 

Rounded tips were for OLD rounded wire and staple spider boards as acutely sharpened points tend to dig into the round wires and bounce out. The concept of rounded points came about when there were only round wire staple boards, but that approach carried over like a sacrosanct commandment when razor wire boards started to appeared. 

Basically - round wires rounded tips, sharp wires very sharp roughed tips. 

I know it might be difficult to wrap one's head around at first, but do give it a thought.

Do you think there's any merit ti this?
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

What is NATURAL? http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
Well i can only speak about steel tip darts, but pretty much all newer points are tapered to the point, the question of pencil tip on your points usually comes up when people think it will help there darts stick better in the board, the tip of the point a bit round to pencil sharp is minimal, the few times i've tried a point thats pencil sharp it usually rips flights or stems apart more, most points made now i dont think the difference between the tip makes much difference hitting wires, i could see this if your using an older sets with thicker points
Yes.  Razor wire spiders require a rethink of that conventional wisdom.  An expatriate Brit (and very accomplished player) posted this comment some time ago.  Stuck in my mind ever since: Wink

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...#pid566193
I must be outdated! Lol! All my steeltips came with thickish points but they were at quite an acute angle towards the tip, and very sharp when new.
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

What is NATURAL? http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
To this guy who sharpens a lot of knives by hand, there is a big difference between needle sharp and rounded. I would still think a very sharp point would dig into the metal spider.

Maybe a long taper to a medium sharp point? Anything really sharp also dulls/bends very quickly. Think fillet knife vs butcher knife.
I like the shape of this point a lot
It's sharp enough to slide on razor spider but also rounded enough to not get caught on staples or dull wire

[Image: yj9xM5f.png?1]
All of my darts have sharp thin points (I own a blade 4) but, since you mention it and this is another thinking deep kind of thing, there is a good chance a sharp thin point might cause more robin hoods, because, the point can slide down into the rear of other dart shafts and puncture dart flights, more easily (it is only theoretical) especially aluminium ones, causing the flight prong to bend out of shape) I suspect a broader point would be less likely to do so and may cause the dart to, either, slip past, or, cause bounce out, instead of into the rear, of the previous dart.

For soft nylon it probably doesnt make much difference, in as much that even if you did a robin hood the nylon shaft will probably be still usable and spring back, hard plastic is likely to snap the prong.

For aluminium shafts (especially) if the flight is a tight fit, a bit of point shaping may help. reduce robin hoods.

I have previously pondered this (as some days I get a lot of robin hoods) but, since, I suspect a thinner point, probably helps reduce bounce outs off the boards wires, I havent messed with the shape (my home board and the local pub boards, are all blade 4 s).
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current throwing weights of 18 to 24 grams.

Current darts set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.
(03-12-2020, 07:36 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Before you all get on the points need to be rounded train, please give this a thought and see if there's any point to all this rambling. 

I don't know if i should share this, but here goes :

Rounded tip with razor spiders may actually be counter productive as the rounded tip actually can catch on the razor wires and bounce out if the radius on the tip is large enough.

Think of the razor wire like a sharpened point meeting a rounded (like round wires) point. The sharp wires may actually dig into the rounded point! 

Rounded tips were for OLD rounded wire and staple spider boards as acutely sharpened points tend to dig into the round wires and bounce out. The concept of rounded points came about when there were only round wire staple boards, but that approach carried over like a sacrosanct commandment when razor wire boards started to appeared. 

Basically - round wires rounded tips, sharp wires very sharp roughed tips. 

I know it might be difficult to wrap one's head around at first, but do give it a thought.

Do you think there's any merit ti this?

Hello

Putting different theories aside i can only reflect on practical experience...I have always rounded off the tip of my points to resemble the profile of a ball point pen rather than a needle. I have been using Bladed boards for 7 years and in my experience I would suggest that the amount of bounce outs due to darts hitting the razor wire was negligible.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Sharp points for me.
This could be a slightly related post.

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=39382
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current throwing weights of 18 to 24 grams.

Current darts set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.
My points are sharp enough to stick in my shoe. Smile
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.