Aiming and alignment
I’ve only just started playing darts and trying to find a good technique, I’ve watched some videos and read a lot of threads about aiming and elbow alignment, I find that if I keep my elbow horizontal I feel as though I’m throwing the dart from above my head. And I still have no idea about aiming ? Smile
im new as well but feel that training myself to keep my elbow straight and throw with my arm i will get used to it.

i always miss throwing "naturally"
I always recommend this great article:

How to throw Darts: The mechanical basics of throwing darts
http://www.dartbase.com/technics.htm
I just started about 4 months ago, and in my expierence its just trail and error for what suits you best. I started out near my eye, Gary Anderson'ish, but i couldnt hit were i wanted, switched it up to a more MvG style throw focused on not snatching the darts witch feels verry unnatural at first but you will get used to it (atleast for me i did). I even added another finger on the barrel because i started out with using only my thumb and pointer finger. And now after 4 months i have about 10 180's on my record. What it comes down to is a lot of practice, practice, practice. Try a throw for a week or two, adjust it, switch it up and don't get frustrated Big Grin
Elbow straight thing doesnt do it for me I have long arms so if my elbow is straight the dart ends up above my head, I bring the dart back just under my right eye, I do this everytime so I know I'm throwing from the same spot, With a nice follow through I'm playing ok at the moment. Abit like Anderson style, I dont copy him but have a similar throw, just not as consistent as he his haha.
(01-08-2020, 02:58 PM)Nathan Wrote: I’ve only just started playing darts and trying to find a good technique, I’ve watched some videos and read a lot of threads about aiming and elbow alignment, I find that if I keep my elbow horizontal I feel as though I’m throwing the dart from above my head. And I still have no idea about aiming ? Smile

Hello Nathan,

My advice is to research on youtube Paul Nicholson’s Masterclass series in which he demonstrates aiming at length after finding out if you’re left or right eye dominant.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(01-08-2020, 02:58 PM)Nathan Wrote: I’ve only just started playing darts and trying to find a good technique, I’ve watched some videos and read a lot of threads about aiming and elbow alignment, I find that if I keep my elbow horizontal I feel as though I’m throwing the dart from above my head. And I still have no idea about aiming ? Smile

I think aiming is a natural thing (or more accurately it becomes natural, with practice) that many darts players either do subconsciously (after a while) or dont like talking about it, as I have not really found much detailed info and most of the people I have spoken to dont really seem to want to talk about it in much detail, I think it basically involves aligning some chosen point on the dart with the sighted target on the board by looking down the length of the dart, it might be the point or the flights or the tip of the barrel (which probably varies from player to player and from set of darts to set of darts) that being the case, its probably why people always say practice, practice and more practice.  Once you find a fairly good and reliable aiming technique and grip, things start to improve, from that point on and you then have your own base line to work off.

Conversely if you over think it, it can have  a negative effect (which might be why people dont like talking or thinking about it too much).

For me I have found watching footage has contributed and given me tips related to both sighting and throw. 

As another aside, I think it can be useful for figuring out check outs as well, if you watch enough clips (because, the instinct can then give you an indication of what to go for, without thinking too much about it).
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current throwing weights of 18 to 24 grams.

Current darts set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.
Well, Nathan I see that is totally normal for a beginner

There some things that just require more and more practice and your body will figure it out

And darts is definitely one of those things

However, you should make sure you check the basics of throwing darts to make sure you are using the right technique

MOD EDIT - link removed
(03-05-2020, 02:47 PM)johnmartins Wrote: Well, Nathan I see that is totally normal for a beginner

There some things that just require more and more practice and your body will figure it out

And darts is definitely one of those things

However, you should make sure you check the basics of throwing darts to make sure you are using the right technique

MOD EDIT - link removed

Welcome to the forum John.  Kindly exercise some care linking to your site - which clearly identifies you as an Amazon Associate.  We have advertising rules which prohibit this sort of thing I'm afraid:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=6165

Your post has been edited and the link removed.

cheers...
(01-11-2020, 10:55 PM)Cateye Wrote: I always recommend this great article:

How to throw Darts: The mechanical basics of throwing darts
http://www.dartbase.com/technics.htm

SOme g8t help in that link, tks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aiming *Saber* 37 9,436 03-13-2020, 07:25 AM
Last Post: samsimilian
  Problem with Horizontal aiming with a new darts. ferni 2 179 02-03-2020, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Jefferz
  aiming and throwing round the board bozza 14 2,196 09-20-2015, 02:21 AM
Last Post: BigE
  Flight Alignment in Gripping brianmontgomery 17 3,681 03-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Last Post: ElusiveDouble85
  aiming question grebber 20 5,022 02-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade