Effect of points on darts
Hi there,

Just wondering in terms of balance/flight do slightly longer flights have much effect on the dart. Was thinking if getting slightly longer ones, any other pros and cons?
Hi,
I suppose you mean points, not flights. Smile

If the dart has a thick nose/barrel, then longer points can allow a closer grouping.
But the dart gets longer overall and hits therefore a tiny bit earlier, which could lead to a changed timing/hitting when throwing.
I believe, however, that you will only notice a difference when you go over 40 mm in point length.

Regarding the balance you should look more on the weight of a point (e.g. Storm points are heavier) than on the length.
Storm type points or similar including trident 180 s might have a slight effect on streamlining maybe, as well as weight (probably hard to prove really),

Some dart points with machining on can probably ruin a board I am guessing, it they go in far enough that the machining bit enters the board.

I got a set of darts from ebay think they were unicorn xl 20 gram darts the points where 55 mm (snakebite ones) or something like that, more like knitting needles, than dart points, I had them changed (because of stop and search stuff in my area, they were probably a bit overly long, really) but the darts flew fine with them on and the balance was quite good (possibly slightly improved over standard)

As cateye mentioned for chunky darts they can potentially allow closer grouping.
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current preferred weight 19 to 23 grams, with 21 gram, being my current favourate.

Favourate current darts set up :- 21 grams 46 to 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts, standard flights.
MY notice from changing from standard to longer points,
I broke it down to 
-the ANGLE of which your darts enter the board post release.
Slightly changed from what a shorter point would be. . .Eventually, and naturally you accustom your throw to land however you want.

However at first,  i  found major issue with longer points on my front loaded barrels ....I have over come that now after weeks of just throwing.

I don’t have long enough points to open up the beds too much, but I definitely notice my landed darts with longer points when scoring the trebles. My furtherst is 36mm.  

Good luck....
In theory, a longer point should cause the dart to land at a flatter angle in the board. The center of gravity of the dart travels along an arc as it goes toward the board and is on the downward slope of that arc as it approaches the board. A longer point will contact the board sooner and, therefore, be at a less steep angle.
I played two sets of identical darts, one with standard 32mm points and the other with 30mm Target Storm points. The target points made the darts land flatter even though they were shorter and my perception when throwing is that they are heavier.