Vintage darts collection, is there a right time to part with it?
This is my first post in a very long time. I just thought I'd ask the vintage darts collectors on here when if ever is the right time to part company with your collection? The reason I ask is during my time collecting until recently my philosophy has been that I'm never going to part with mine.
 So why the change in mind? Don't get me wrong I have sold the occasional set over the years when duplicated in my collection but on the whole it has been kept intact and added to.

Having just bought another £100+ set, my wife posed me with a question. She asked me if I was to die what is she expected to do with it?
So I have actually thought quite deeply about it, as well as my wife I have 3 children 2 adult sons and a 13 year old daughter none of whom have any interest in my collection whatsoever. I dare say when my ashes are scattered to the four winds my family will then sell them.
None of them know the first thing about them, how to describe and list them, minimum values etc. and I hate the thought of my collection going for a fraction of its value. I know value is a case of swings and roundabouts, many sets Pikes etc have taken a significant drop in value in comparison to 5 years ago or so. some will have held there value whilst I dare say others have increased. The person best qualified to sell our collections in our families is ourselves.
 Especially when selling on Ebay I feel there are other potential setbacks to realizing a sum similar to what I paid for them, not least one of the main bidders who likes my stuff is out of the equation namely myself, and that's without sellers fees etc.
 And then there is another issue my family wont understand, Yes I actually do care who finishes up buying my stuff, unfortunately as we all know there are one or two so called collectors out there with no ethics, and in truth not really genuine collectors more unscrupulous buyers and sellers.

Anyway I don't intend parting with it yet, but think I will at some point. My question to the collectors on here is have you thought about what will become of your collection?
Hi shafted,
How I see it is if you enjoy your collection keep them if you are short of money or have another reason that would push you to selling them then do so.

when your gone it won't matter who gets them and if you're concerned as to the incorrect value being achieved for your darts why don’t you catalogue in detail with photos and estimated values to give your family a fair chance of selling them correctly on ebay (you can also put write a link to darts nutz).

I think you would regret selling them off and if you do and lets say you get £1000 will it change your way of life and no more hunting for darts as it will make you mad when you see them aand think I had a set just like them but better.

good luck with your decision mate
My collection isn't worth as much as a few of the people round here but I've been thinking about this a little as well. I'm tending to veer towards the cataloguing them for when I go so that my daughter at least knows what they all are, but I'll just give her some rough idea of which ones are the higher value items though.
I don't have a vintage collection, but I've just made a 'Dartabase' of all my darts in an excel spreadsheet to keep track of what I have. I've included Brand, Model, weight, finish, length, width, tungsten %, and what points are in them if not original. Plus an approximate value. It's a handy reference first of all, and it would be useful if someone else had to sell them or maybe for an insurance claim if needed.
I'm in the same boat.
To be fair, I think collectors of anything have the same issue.

For me, it's something I've gotten a lot of joy out of doing. I used to love the feeling of hunting out a rare set of darts or finding something long since forgotten and then sharing it on here.

My interest in collecting has certainly gone down a lot lately. Most people know exactly what they've got these days.
In fact, I'd say it's never been worse to be a collector and never been better to be a seller.

You don't need to 'know' what you're selling these days. I've seen horrendously crap photos and descriptions of a collection of darts on ebay that sell for hundreds simply because the buyers these days know exactly what they are looking for.

Ironically, I think we are partly responsible for fueling the fire on this as we all like to post pictures and descriptions/research etc. on here about darts, making it pretty easy for people to swing by, get the details they need and then sell on what they have.

My wife knows that I've paid a lot for certain sets of darts and hopefully wouldn't be mad enough to sell them for nothing.
She also knows there are some utter idiots floating around on ebay (I won't mention names.... but I'm sure we've had dealing with certain untrustworthy people on there) so again, she wouldn't sell them directly to these people for a small price.

It's a tough one for me, because ultimately, it boils down to money... which sucks really. As it would be nice to think a new collector could get their hands on a great bargain and start them off on their collection...

I'm in no hurry to sell my collection... but I've definitely lost my enthusiasm for collecting lately.
I don't think anyone I know will be able to appreciate the collection I have as much as me when I am gone, but I have catalogued everything and put a little piece of paper with the date and price I paid for them with every set. But I think I will probably thin down my collection soon anyway and just keep the ones I like best.

Eventually I think I may sell them all off but not for a while yet but I think I will be lucky to get 60% of what I paid for them as a lot of the darts I bought were when there was less of them cropping up on the likes of ebay, for example the Silver Comets and the wooden WW2 Dorwins were often going for around the £50+ mark and now your lucky if they reach £15 same with the Pikes and Newsteads they would usually be £25 to £30+ but now can sell for less than £10 sometimes! Sad
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(11-25-2015, 08:25 AM)mc1958 Wrote: My collection isn't worth as much as a few of the people round here but I've been thinking about this a little as well.  I'm tending to veer towards the cataloguing them for when I go so that my daughter at least knows what they all are, but I'll just give her some rough idea of which ones are the higher value items though.
Ive watched your collection grow over the last couple of years Mike into quite an extensive collection with considerable value, you have some cracking sets
I appreciate where your both coming from Darren and Stuart, your never going to pick a set of Jack Hoods for example as a bargain any more regardless of whether they are listed correctly or not, more and more people know what they looking at. A few times in the past you could spot a set of desirable darts listed in the incorrect box and many a time the seller would in ignorance list them incorrectly as the same name as on the box usually Unicorn but the price soon escalates if that happens now. I also find as mentioned that sets I paid good money for a few years ago are now common place and have seriously depreciated in value. My NOTW collection would be particularly hard for me to see separated I have amassed an extensive amount of memorabilia some of it Ive still yet to see elsewhere, and wherever it may finish I just hope it is appreciated.
I'm really trying my hardest not to fall for the Darts collecting addiction.

My story started 2014 when I decided to build myself a Snooker Room, put a full size table in there but this wasn't enough I needed something else, with my addictive personality I wanted something to look forward to & the feeling of ordering something & waiting for it to arrive gives a great buzz.

This is when I discovered or caught the bug in collecting old Antique cues. This bug only lasted a year & in that year I spent in excess of £8,000 & funnily enough I only had around 14 cues with many costing in the region of £600-700.

I sold these at a loss, not a great loss because I made contact with many great collectors who knew the true value of the cues.

Anyway I've always been in to Darts & had a Dartboard so it was more about playing then collecting but now I've got into the habit of collecting limited edition darts I feel this was nice & I won't have to go down the route so much of hours trawling the Internet looking for rare darts & oddly enough old darts don't interest me like the old Antique cues did.

So I'm afraid I am going to have to blame this forumSmile because I really can't help myself at the moment in looking at darts just like I used to with the cues but I'm happy how I'm doing at the moment and will hopefully stick to just limited edition.
Its a good and bad thing getting into collecting, good because it can be fun and interesting and bad because it can be costly and never ending, you can never get a complete collection as there is always something cropping up that you may want and if its rare you often pay more just because you must have it and not necessarily because its worth the amount.

I doubt I will get half as much back as what I have paid but I would say its still being mostly worth it for the pleasure of having it. Smile

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(03-17-2016, 10:38 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Its a good and bad thing getting into collecting, good because it can be fun and interesting and bad because it can be costly and never ending, you can never get a complete collection as there is always something cropping up that you may want and if its rare you often pay more just because you must have it and not necessarily because its worth the amount.

I doubt I will get half as much back as what I have paid but I would say its still being mostly worth it for the pleasure of having it. Smile

Exactly Getagrip great line where you say you can never complete a collection utterly true. 

The only bonus or could be a bad thing regarding Dart collecting is I never thought paying £500 for an antique rare cue was expensive where in Darts for £500 you could have some real beauties & a tidy collection.

I'm still keeping to my word & just hunting out limited editionsSmile
I keep saying I will thin mine down and just stick to some favourites but it never happens lol!

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can anybody help identify these vintage darts? Lauren Alice Lucy 4 134 07-14-2020, 12:44 AM
Last Post: ShotBuster
  Vintage Darts Episode 1 The Detach O Point Darts Getagrip 19 553 06-04-2020, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Vintage darts flights carlmuscleman67 5 838 02-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Rare darts added to collection carlmuscleman67 12 1,961 12-09-2017, 04:01 PM
  Vintage set of KC Mullaney Darts by Fansteel Darts. bret23 4 1,229 04-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Mike HermThe
  Vintage 26 gram DMI Darts bret23 0 667 11-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Last Post: bret23
  My Vintage Hammerhead Darts........... bret23 9 3,301 09-07-2016, 08:49 AM
  My 1st 2 sets of vintage darts 182Dan 0 823 11-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Last Post: 182Dan
  Vintage desktop/travel darts mc1958 2 2,056 05-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Cat
  Stuart180 vintage and rare collection stuart180 40 8,500 05-07-2015, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Shed inn