Jack Hood Nu Darts
Cat Wrote:Plastic was a new fangled invention in the 20s or so....plastic had just been invented.   In fact, when I collected costume jewelry, I had a piece of high end costume jewelry in bakelite.  It was considered cutting edge and expensive so wealthier ladies would flaunt it.
Additionally, I have a couple of silver tea or coffee pots ranging around 1920s to 1940s where bakelite was used as an accent piece (as opposed to say onyx or sardonyx for example)...again, expensive show pieces...in their time.
[Image: bIcnxOK.png]
(11-23-2015, 05:41 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Good to hear!  I'm ok I lost my Dad in February which was sad but I think he is in a better place now.

I seen those Northwoods but thought he was asking a bit too much but I already have some any way.  Glad you have been able to tick a few off the list though, it is a never ending list sometimes though lol! Smile

Yes I'm sorry your father passed away. He had a buy it now price of £195, I think he would of been lucky to get that, I made him a best offer of £130 plus £6.50 postage, a fair offer but a bit more than I would like to have paid but I wanted them quite badly ( you know the feeling) and he had them on a 29 day sale it would of been frustrating watching that. Also it is my wife who has paid for them as a 50th birthday present next week.
(11-23-2015, 05:52 PM)Cat Wrote:
Cat Wrote:Plastic was a new fangled invention in the 20s or so....plastic had just been invented.   In fact, when I collected costume jewelry, I had a piece of high end costume jewelry in bakelite.  It was considered cutting edge and expensive so wealthier ladies would flaunt it.
Additionally, I have a couple of silver tea or coffee pots ranging around 1920s to 1940s where bakelite was used as an accent piece (as opposed to say onyx or sardonyx for example)...again, expensive show pieces...in their time.

yeah bakelite is on many old darts and boxes but its a quite brittle material sadly.  I bought some vintage darts in a bakelite box from ebay once and all I got was broken bits and loose darts Sad

(11-23-2015, 08:53 PM)shafted Wrote:
(11-23-2015, 05:41 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Good to hear!  I'm ok I lost my Dad in February which was sad but I think he is in a better place now.

I seen those Northwoods but thought he was asking a bit too much but I already have some any way.  Glad you have been able to tick a few off the list though, it is a never ending list sometimes though lol! Smile

Yes I'm sorry your father passed away. He had a buy it now price of £195, I think he would of been lucky to get that, I made him a best offer of £130 plus £6.50 postage, a fair offer but a bit more than I would like to have paid but I wanted them quite badly ( you know the feeling) and he had them on a 29 day sale it would of been frustrating watching that. Also it is my wife who has paid for them as a 50th birthday present next week.

A good reason to treat yourself then Smile
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Patrick Chaplin AKA Dr Darts has written an article in his latest newsletter, Number 67, about the Jack Hood Nu Darts.

If you have not signed up to his newsletter then you should do so as it has lots of great articles about the game of darts, its history and the players of the past.

Subscribe: https://www.patrickchaplin.com/Newsletter.htm

You can check out Patricks site which is a great resource with lots of interesting topics here: https://www.patrickchaplin.com/index.html

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Hi everyone, new poster here looking for a little help if possible. Jack Hood was my grandad and I'm desperately trying to get a set of his old darts to show my daughter. If there are any sets available please let me know, would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
(05-08-2016, 06:13 PM)JHood Wrote: Hi everyone, new poster here looking for a little help if possible.  Jack Hood was my grandad and I'm desperately trying to get a set of his old darts to show my daughter.  If there are any sets available please let me know, would be greatly appreciated.  Cheers

Hello and welcome aboard!

That's cool your related to Jack Hood, would be good to hear some of your familys history of him if your happy to share.

Is there nothing left from his business, I think Patrick Chaplin knows more about Jack Hood than I do and he may have even spoken to you already.

I have a couple of sets of Jack Hood darts but they are not so easy to find and as a collector I would be reluctant to part with them, the best you can hope for is to keep checking on ebay and hope a set comes up but your likely to have to pay a fair price if they do Smile

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(05-08-2016, 06:27 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 06:13 PM)JHood Wrote: Hi everyone, new poster here looking for a little help if possible.  Jack Hood was my grandad and I'm desperately trying to get a set of his old darts to show my daughter.  If there are any sets available please let me know, would be greatly appreciated.  Cheers

Hello and welcome aboard!

That's cool your related to Jack Hood, would be good to hear some of your familys history of him if your happy to share.

Is there nothing left from his business, I think Patrick Chaplin knows more about Jack Hood than I do and he may have even spoken to you already.

I have a couple of sets of Jack Hood darts but they are not so easy to find and as a collector I would be reluctant to part with them, the best you can hope for is to keep checking on ebay and hope a set comes up but your likely to have to pay a fair price if they do Smile
[quote pid='306622' dateline='1462728430']

Thank you for your reply!  I believe Patrick has already spoken to my Mum about most things relating her Dad.  Unfortunately I never really got to meet him as he died when I was 2.  Jack that is.  It was his Dad that actually started the company but the factory burnt down in the 70's I think and they never started again.

Thank you for the advice, will be vigilant in my search!  If you do hear of anything would be very grateful. 

[/quote]
Having a problem here I think, my own stupidity!
That's unfortunate about the fire, it must have been tough and a pity they never tried to re-start after that, those Nu darts were a complete mystery to me and to Patrick too so I wonder if there is any other J Hood darts out there that are forgotten?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I will ask when I see mum, buts she's off on holiday now for two weeks!  Maybe someone else in the family knows....
Yeah that's great, thanks! Smile

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

It would be nice if you would do a feature of your Vintage darts as like we are doing a tour in a museum. I would be very interested to see the development of darts.
No problem, am interested myself to know more.

Found this as well, with a mention of the factory

https://www.mernick.org.uk/elhs/Newslett...201-09.pdf

Am thinking about contacting the, to see if they have any other info, or perhaps know of someone that worked at the factory.

Check page 9
(05-08-2016, 08:45 PM)PJHood Wrote: No problem, am interested myself to know more.  Richard was my Mum's Dad - Jacks son.  Jack is the burly bloke you can see in the pictures online.

Found this as well, with a mention of the factory

https://www.mernick.org.uk/elhs/Newslett...201-09.pdf

Am thinking about contacting the, to see if they have any other info, or perhaps know of someone that worked at the factory.

Check bottom of page 9
I have some Jack Hood photos i can share too

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jack Hood Darts Getagrip 9 3,482 12-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: O C
  Union Jack Re-seal flights tfarnell1997 12 2,342 02-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Last Post: mc1958
  Jack Hood darts mc1958 13 5,671 06-16-2016, 08:36 AM
Last Post: cableg
  My first Robin Hood with a vintage set Yikes! Getagrip 3 1,804 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Last Post: *Saber*