Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Darts - Beginners 3 things you must do to become a good Player
Haven't seen anyone mention moving while at the oche. I tend to say this to a lot of my friends and league teammates, "Stop moving while you're at the oche, just throw." It is okay if you miss your mark, you can just readjust your throw according to where your first dart lands. When you move away from the board or start fidgeting every time you miss, you lose your place marker and concentration every time you do that. Yes, I understand there are exceptions to this. If one were to argue: a dart is blocking the way, the first throw was way off so I'm just take a breather, walking away from the line to recompose myself, and so on. This is just a general thing I find a lot of new players do, and it doesn't seem to help them as they tend to get worse as the night goes on.

Quick note: yes, I am at work... again. (Don't judge me, I still get my work done on time.)
It's a mental game. Your advice sounds like pressure.
Personally i think that darts is all about consistency, so you need
to

1. Keep body and head still
2. Extend arm fully with fingers pointing to the ground at finish

Those are in my opinion the most important basic fundamentals.

I also suggest that when you toe the oche, you look at your target, go into your stance (while looking at target), and then throw, keeping eyes locked on target. This also helps you to stop over leaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this helps me
the discipline of using and practicing ONE set of darts lol

In the process of trying to remember the checkouts. Got the wife to keep testing me. Once its embedded hopefully my play will be smoother
Current setup

24g Snakebite PL15
Medium progrip stems
(11-07-2013, 03:03 PM)Thanks! *Saber* Wrote: This is my opinion but I think good advice.
The other night while watching the top league match a lower league was playing and one of the newbies asked me how to become a good player.

I had played him before in Cricket and 01 and just destroyed him. A nice kid and here was my answers to him.

1. Extend your arm to your target and end up with palm of your hand down. ( 90% of players around here snatch their darts)
2. Focus
3. Practice,Practice,practice and learn your outs.

Of course there are more to it than that but you get this part down you have a solid base IMO.
(12-18-2016, 05:03 AM)BigE Wrote: It's a mental game. Your advice sounds like pressure.

I agree with this. Learn to stay calm and focus.
You will get better with practice (a lot of practice Smile ).
(11-07-2013, 03:03 PM)*Saber* Wrote: This is my opinion but I think good advice.
The other night while watching the top league match a lower league was playing and one of the newbies asked me how to become a good player.

I had played him before in Cricket and 01 and just destroyed him. A nice kid and here was my answers to him.

1. Extend your arm to your target and end up with palm of your hand down. ( 90% of players around here snatch their darts)
2. Focus

Of course there are more to it than that but you get this part down you have a solid base IMO.

I totally agree.
(12-26-2016, 06:58 PM)Dartaddict1973 Wrote: this helps me
the discipline of using and practicing ONE set of darts lol

I know what ya mean lol
[Image: 2e2gdae.jpg]
(01-16-2017, 08:10 PM)lap Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 03:03 PM)*Saber* Wrote: This is my opinion but I think good advice.

2. Focus

I totally agree.
Absolutely correct.
[Image: 2e2gdae.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts Etiquette - Good stuff *Saber* 59 13,007 10-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Banz
  Dart Practice Games Dartsnutz University: Beginners Level guest2 14 39,168 12-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Banz
  How beginners should practice scoring PC462000 7 755 12-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Last Post: BigE
  Darts General Orientation (Dartsnutz University: Beginners Level) guest2 16 3,998 11-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Slakkie
  Good, affordable set of starter darts. That1Person2 15 2,258 10-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Rodney
Wink Cheap Darts for beginners... Pradeep 24 2,913 03-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Pradeep
  Great Website For Beginners MitchWardle 5 1,224 03-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Last Post: MitchWardle
  Other Dart Games That You Can Enjoy Playing (Dartsnutz University: Beginners Level) guest2 0 1,448 12-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Last Post: guest2
  Beginners - heres great help *Saber* 4 1,943 02-06-2014, 12:46 AM
Last Post: robrey85
  For all you beginners Darts-Lass 0 832 04-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Darts-Lass